Tuesday, December 19, 2017

My Christmas Embroidery Project


I was awol last week as we went and picked up our new puppy, Baxter!  He's a darling now 9-week old English Shepherd who takes quite a bit of time, but is so fun that we're glad to give it!  In between naps, training, supervising him with the cats, and lessons on not nipping, I have actually gotten a little bit of time to work on my embroidery project inspired by Dorothy Tucker's work, that I wrote about here.  I hoped to finish it last week (ha!!) and am now not sure I'll be done by Christmas, so I wanted to at least show you what I was doing.


I downloaded a botanical photo of holly, printed it onto fabric made to go through the printer (most craft stores carry this now), found thread colors (some that matched, some that added some "pop"), and began using an outline stitch to outline leaves, stems, and berries and other stitches to fill in and add interest.  If you're new to embroidery, I have a tutorial here on a few basic stitches.  If you already have these mastered, grab an embroidery stitch book or go to an internet site such as Sharon B's and just let your imagination go.  That's one of the nice things about doing embroidery this way - there's no right or wrong and you don't even have to plan ahead, just stitch what you feel like at the moment!  And a little more about where I got the photo - if you haven't yet discovered The Graphics Fairy, be sure to take a look!  Karen finds and posts vintage images that are great to use in needlework and crafts.  The botanical holly image is here.

I'm going to work hard at getting a Friday Inspiration up this week (fingers crossed and pup willing!), but after that I'll be on hiatus until after New Year's.  

Happy Holidays!!

Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment