Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Inspiration - Kirsten Chursinoff

I've been thinking about starting another quilting project, however after finishing Year of the Snake, I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle another large quilt!  So I've been perusing the web looking at small art quilts and discovered a very inspiring fiber artist.  Kirsten Chursinoff is a Vancouver, British Columbia artist who creates very layered and textured, embroidered works that are gorgeous!

Red Tube Worms 2


Kirsten starts by piecing fabric onto a background, collage style.  And then the magic starts!  She hand and machine embroiders, adds beading and couches on yarns.  Read more about her process here.


And she loves french knots!  The texture they add along with the beads is amazing in this detail from Garden Impressions.

detail Garden Impressions

Alliums

I love her combination of machine thread sketching and hand embroidery in Alliums!  It makes for a nice sense of dimension.

You can follow Kirsten's work on her blog and I highly recommend getting a nice cup of something, sitting back, and looking through her gallery.

And I'm off to look through the scores of nature photos I've been taking to look for inspiration for a smaller art quilt piece!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment