Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - Holly Leaf Art Coasters


I decided to try some Christmas color themed ice dyeing and had a couple pieces turn out really well!  The colors in these fabrics reminded me of Christmas greenery, so I decided to sew up a set of holly leaf coasters.  I made them basically the same as I did the Leaf Art Coasters in this past post - there are a few differences I'll tell you about.  And if you like the leaves but don't have time to make them yourself, I made a couple of extra sets and have them up on my store!



Materials:
*fabric that has a variety of greens - I used ice dyeing to make my own with Procion fiber reactive dyes forest green, dark green, and yucca green with a couple spots of fire red added in.  If you don't want to dye your own fabric, batiks would look nice.
*small amount of red fabric - I used a felted wool fabric I had
*Steam-a-Seam II Lite
*Iron on felt
*sewing thread - I used a mossy green, red, black, and silver
*patterns found here

1.  Cut two holly leaf pieces from green fabric and one from iron on felt.  Cut about 1/4 inch more off of the felt.  Iron Steam-a-Seam onto the wrong side of red fabric and cut one berry piece from it.  Iron to fuse felt to wrong side of one of the holly leaf pieces.  Remove backing from berry piece and iron to attach to right side of the other holly leaf piece.


2.  Pin two holly leaf pieces together.


3.  With a small zigzag stitch, sew along the edges of the holly leaf.  Trim any rough edges.


4.  Thread sketch an outline around the leaf and berries and along vein lines with different colors of thread.  See the original leaf coaster post for more instructions.  I first used black thread, then green on the leaf and red on the berries, and ended with silver over everything.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

4 comments:

  1. I think the holly leaves are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. What a wonderful site. You have so many different projects! I'm going to have some fun with your ideas.

    ReplyDelete