Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday Project - Tweaking Ice Dyeing


Wouldn't you know - now that I live in Phoenix and it's 110 outside, I need snow.  We lived in Montana for many years off and on and got very tired of the stuff!  Well, after noticing that when I used  whole ice cubes while ice dyeing, I got large crystalline designs, I wondered if the designs would be smaller with a smaller ice crystal ... so I pulverized the ice in my blender until it looked like snow.  It definitely changed the patterns I got.  I'm starting to fall in love with this type of dying!


I took a yard of fabric, prepared it in soda ash water (see here for the complete instructions on ice dyeing), stuffed it down into a small container, and piled on pulverized ice.  It looked like a giant snow cone!  I did everything else the same.  


This time I used Procion dyes in forest green, sage green, golden yellow, and rust brown.  Parts of the fabric remind me of Yellowstone algae pools - very cool!


I've got my thread and am ready to make some fiber art leaves.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. How cool(and I do mean COOL!)this is. I love new ideas and this is one I will have to read up on.
    The fabric turns out beautiful and even though I haven't done a lot of dyeing, I will have to try this.
    Thanks for an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete