Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - Thinking Vintage

I actually have a special event this year I can wear a nice dress to!  This is very exciting because I've wanted to make nice, party-type dress for a long time - but it's hard to actually do that when you know you won't really be wearing it anywhere that won't raise eyebrows!  So I've been going through my collection of vintage patterns and have finally narrowed it down to four.  By the way, if you like vintage patterns and haven't discovered Janet Lanetz' great website, get ready for an adventure!




I'm drawn to 50's styles - but in some sort of updated way.  I don't want to look like I'm going to a costume party!  The neckline of this dress is nice, and the 3/4 sleeves - my arms look much better in sleeves.  And it's elegant, like ...

... the poster girl for elegance.




















I really like the lace overlay on this Givenchy dress Audrey wore when accepting her Oscar.













But then there's Jackie.  I love this Cassini dress she wore in India in 1962.








And adding the 3/4 sleeves to this dress (I like the two sets of darts on the bodice) would look nice.  Not being actually in the 60's, I don't think I could pull off the hat and jacket, though!






However, there's this Belinda Bellville 70's Vogue pattern that keeps calling to me.  I love the back and the fact that it's a wrap dress.

.





And this Bellville (1950's) has an interesting neckline ...









... doable with this pattern ....








... and we're back to Jackie!


Maybe looking at fabrics will help the decision?


Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. Shirley said:
    This is the style during my growing up years. I always loved those days. Go girl! I had a dress and coat where the dress and lining of the coat was of the samed material. It remind me of the cloths that Debby Reynolds wore.

    ReplyDelete