Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Inspiration - Free Form Crochet

In researching free form crochet, I came across the website for the International Freeform  Crochet Guild with 5 years of past guild shows - wow!  This site takes awhile to run through - but it's a thoroughly enjoyable while.  If you are at all interested in crochet, be sure to grab a cup of something you enjoy and browse through all the amazing pieces.


These are three that especially stood out to me.  I love Lou Bors' colorful spiral and flower design.  I've been working on figuring out spirals and you know I love crocheted flowers!  



Joan Bacon Springer's piece has an amazing amount of texture!  This is what I've been trying to figure out how to feature on a crocheted sculptural piece I'm working on for the fibers class I'm taking this semester.  The color palette of neutrals makes this seem light, even with all that texture.




 Mitsuko Tonouchi's free form garlands have all of the components I'm trying to incorporate - spirals, hyperbolic shapes, texture, color palette ... greatly inspirational!  She was inspired by the anime film "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind."


There are definitely enough pieces on this site to inspire every crocheter.

Happy Creating!  Deborah


4 comments:

  1. These pieces look amazing! I haven't done free form in ages, I should pull out my yarn stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah, you are so talented! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great article on freeform crochet...I love the technique and recently completed my first freeform crochet project: a 36" diameter rug: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiamia1/8646335200/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And your rug is gorgeous - you're inspiring me to give one a try!

      Delete